Thanks to Frances today for her informative and thought and discussion provoking presentation on Carl Jung. Here is a link to more information on
Jungian archetypes
Her presentation generated a lot of feedback and personal connections people had with the subject content.
OPINION:
In a psychological battle of wits who wins in your opinion Jung or Freud? And why?
4 comments:
Generally, Sigmund Freud has outlined a basic theory for psychoanalysis. He clarified the ineffectiveness of the hypnotic method and brought up the issue of neurotic cases. His idea of the conscious and unconscious mind can be thought as a great start for Jung to carry out newly developed investigations. However, I support the notion of archetypes Jung has suggested, much prefer it to Freud's relation to phallic symbols. Sigmund Freud visualised objects as though he was obsessed with sexuality, hence, his theories are too biased to be trusted. Jung's theory, on the other hand, contains a sense of identity, pride and strength of spirit - which is found more interesting, fascinating and authorised -
Freud does present some interesting theories, though I find them to be a bit biased and too male-oriented. Jung elaborates upon Freud's theories as well as making them his own and i think that this is what would make him win my opinion.
Freud's take on the human psyche is interesting to say the least...His ideas about the Id, Ego and Superego definitely made me think and there were things to do with the unconscious/conscious which I agreed with, but other than that I would have to disagree with Freud. (Of course I would be biased since I am a girl and I find it extremely implausible that "man" is the ideal)
Jung on the other hand seems to have delved deeper than Freud has and has tried to explore personality much more and has deviated from Freud's obsession with sexuality. Jung gives a more "3D" view of the human psyche.
I like Freud's theory better because he has clearly identified different aspects of a human behaviour, i.e. the Ego, Id, Superego. However, I also think he was being too biased by saying everything we see in our dreams has something to do with sex because a new born or a baby can also have dreams and it is obvious they would not think of S E X.
Post a Comment