Thursday, February 9, 2012

Asian Antigone

As a Vietnamese, I can see that constructing Antigone into an Asian version is not that easy because Asian cultures are very different from foreign cultures. If I was to construct Antigone Asian-ly, I would focus on speech, costumes and settings

Speech: First of all, Asians generally are more reserved in their actions and speech (they don't straightforwardly speak up their opinions no matter how upset they are, especially women). Most Asian films and dramas allow characters to express their thoughts and expressions through extremely metaphoric, symbolic speech. This way, although the character shows no expressions, the audience can still understand very clearly their intentions. So this means I will focus very closely on the speeches of each character and use many symbols throughout the whole play.

Costumes: Since I want to focus this play on ancient Asian society, the characters will be dressed as ancient Chinese people. The costumes can show how each character is treated by society . For example, Antigone is a princess but as her father is not a king anymore, people don't really treat her like a real princess. So in this case, her costume will be quite princess-like but at the same time, it will be same same as the costume the maids have. etc....

Settings: the props can be used to foreshadow the future events in the play ,express the feelings of the character. Certain props can be used as a symbolic device. The environmental factors on stage (e.g: storm to convey the expression of anger) can help the audience understand more about a certain scene or certain situation

No comments: