Monday, February 6, 2012

Veronica's thoughts on 'Asian Antigone'

I just watched the film stills video clip Ms. Basel embedded in the last post, and I have to say I wasn't expecting anything like it at all. With that said, here is my take on the Asian rendition of Antigone by Sophocles. I haven't watched much Asian movies and dramas so ... bear with me if some of my musings don't correspond exactly with how you guys had imagined it. I won't specify my ideas to a certain country just because I don't think I have the level of knowledge required to comment on country specifics. Instead, I will try to focus on Chinese, Japanese and Korean theater because those are the three that I feel somewhat (more) familiar with.

To preserve the script, I belive the movie should be in black and white. The effect of this was apparent through the two adaptations we saw - the BBC adaptation, while truer to the script, seemed (at least to me) too modernized due to the costumes and employment of the latest filming techniques of the eighties. However as I type this I realize that the script may be adapted completely so that it takes place in the modern era. If this is so, colored would most definitely be more accurate.

I also realize there are two ways to go about this. The rendition can be wholly adapted like Throne of Blood so it corresponds more accurately with the culture of the country (Asian steel armor, old savants instead of the Three Witches, bows and arrows instead of spears and cannons). Conversely, the director may choose to preserve the Western characteristics in the original script and go about shaping his screenplay in that manner. Although I believe the latter would be more 'accurate' in the sense that it would be more faithful to the play, it would definitely be of more use and interest to us if Antigone were wholly adapted within the Asian culture.

As I previously mentioned in class, I believe relationships would need to be highlighted in the Asian version, such as the sibling relationship between Antigone and Ismene, spousal understanding between Antigone and Haemon, filial duties between Haemon and Creon and the like. From what I've seen in Asian dramas thus far, relationships serve a key part in unraveling the storyline and in enticing viewers to watch. Pauses would also have to be used effectively within the dramatization, as I find much is left unsaid in Asian drama; this allows room for viewers' interpretations and greater sympathy/attachment between the viewer and characters. It would be interesting to see the character and relationship development between Antigone and Ismene. Antigone's 'rebellion' would be considered more scandalous than ever in an Asian adaptation due to the amount of patriarchy ingrained within the society. Even in modern context, I find that masculinity and partriarchy is held at a higher degree as opposed to femininity and matriarchy (... or so at least in my family). Creon's characterization in Sophocles' original would mostly be apt for the Asian version; I don't think his personality has to undergo such drastic changes, because his profile fits the stereotypical role and personality of an Asian autocrat quite well. As for Haemon, Antigone's doomed husband, I would personally like to see the relationship between his betrothed and himself develop just a little more especially for the Asian rendition. Such development would have a positive impact on Asian viewers (like I mentioned, the more complex their relationship situation the better) - it would also greatly increase sympathy from viewers and heighten the tragedy in the play.

No comments: