Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Senses

It is clear in Patrick Süskinds’s Perfume, that the senses or in particular the olfactory world that Grenouille exists in, have a somewhat control over our lives. Everyday human beings follow their noses, see new sight things with their eyes, are convinced of new information via their ears and so on. Our senses take us where we want to go, sniff out the nutrients we desire and listen to the various melodies of everyday life that keep us living . For example, I myself often come across certain ‘perfumes’ or odours that remind me of people or places I have known in the past. It can sometimes bring back great memories, or even trick the brain into believing that this smell is in some way linked to a good memory. Perhaps, after his unusual up brining, these scents are the only thing that gives Grenouille his ‘good memories’

4 comments:

c. said...

What kind of good memories do you suppose Grenouille has?

Mai said...

I was just about to comment and ask what memories he would have, and when i clicked, christian had already asked!
Well, I don't think they bring back visual memories or memories of people as he does not really care for those. I would assume that smells bring back more smells, and only smells of memories for Grenouille.

c. said...

great minds think alike.

ana.itaG said...

I remember smells of other peoples houses! :D Grenouilles good memories are those of the the girl, wood and orange blossoms and things. well basically his good memories are smells.